With the calendar change and a significant note of the passage of time I so often and easily think about resolutions I can make and everything that I can change or do in the new year. Resolutions are great but I don’t do well with them. I can’t actually remember the last one that kept, I’m not even sure that I’ve ever made one. Research tells us that goal setting is a good way to get things accomplished, and I do well with challenges and targets to meet. So this year I’m making goals based on things that I want to accomplish and that feed my spirit or soul.
- Read 50 books
- Run a 5k before my breast surgery and (maybe) after my surgery (this goal is VERY dependent on when surgery is and what type of reconstruction I choose)
- Increase my range of motion and upper body strength
- Make Beef Wellington
- Make “The Silver Spoon” lasagna
- Get my Passport renewed
These goals are not in any particular order and I think I can check them all off in the next 12 months.
Here’s a glimpse at my thought process in choosing these.
- Reading has been challenging, chemo, radiation, etc. etc. all make focusing on anything difficult. I’ve been able to get through some of my more challenging books lately so a goal of about 1/week is both attainable and a decent increase from the past 2 years.
- I have always been and felt strong, emotionally and physically, I’ve lost a LOT of my strength and fitness in the past 2 years. I want to move my body in the right direction to regaining this part of my life. Sure I’d love to lose weight that I’ve gained during treatment and be as strong as I was before cancer, but at the end of the day, I really just want to feel like I’m physically and emotionally strong and healthy. That doesn’t happen at a specific body weight or ability to bench press the it, but it will occur as I continue to make healthy choices for my body and mind.
- I adore cooking and baking! Making Beef Wellington has been in the back of my mind for a few years, to it’s moving out of the back of my mind and onto our family plate… soon. I’ve made the Silver Spoon’s lasagna using store bought noodles, this year I’m taking on the whole recipe start to finish.
- Travel. This will be a part of our life-after-cancer so I really need to renew my passport. If I don’t reach this goal, please smack my forehead.
What are your resolutions or goals for 2016?